Re: Batch-download all GNOME po directories

Op Sa, 2009-04-18 om 15:38 +0100 skryf Simos Xenitellis:

> What I would suggest is to try to clone the repositories of the GNOME
> release,
> and keep those on your system. We now know the figures;
> the GNOME 2.26 Git repositories would take about 2.6GB on your disk.
> If you were to download these files in a compressed .tar.bz2, the file
> would be around 1.6GB.
> It would be quite straightforward to use a download manager and get a
> 1.6GB file.

... assuming a certain hard drive space and level of connectivity to be
available.

It is actually not as big as I thought it would be, considering it
contains all branches of all projects. Git is really quite efficient. I
will however continue to download stuff directly from damned lies and
asking other people to commit on my behalf until damned lies can commit.
I am lucky that I probably have the bandwidth to be able to download 1.6
GB over a few days/weeks, but I don't have hard drive space at the
moment :-)

Translating GNOME is so much fun, I do it in my free time and I enjoy
it. One of the main reasons is because it is easy to do and the overhead
is minimal. As long as we continue to make it possible for people to
contribute as easily as it is now, I think we will continue to draw more
people (and I will continue to recommend it to people starting out with
localisation).

A big thank you to everybody helping to make this the joy that it is
(and everybody committing for me :-)

Keep well
Friedel

--