Re: palimpsest translate?

Hey,

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 17:13 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> On 4/13/09, Benjamín Valero Espinosa <benjavalero gmail com> wrote:
> > >
> > > It currently lives at [1]. I think that it will be translated by GNOME
> > > Translation Project, so don't worry. :)
> > >
> > > [1] http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gnome-disk-utility
> >
> > Well, I cannot find that module to be translated:
> >
> > http://l10n.gnome.org/module/
>
> It seems the module was never announced to the GNOME Translation
> Project, so as a consequence no l10n.gnome.org page was ever added.
> I've fixed that now: http://l10n.gnome.org/module/gnome-disk-utility/
>
> I'm also cc:ing the maintainer.

Great, thanks, I've been wanting to ask for translations as
gnome-disk-utility will be used by GVfs in the GNOME 2.28 release (we
are using in Fedora 11 already); in particular strings for drives,
volumes and mounts will come from gnome-disk-utility.

Now, gnome-disk-utility actually has quite a lot of strings marked for
translation and I wanted to talk to you guys about that.

 - src/gdu/gdu-ata-smart-attribute.c
   These are names and descriptions of ATA SMART attributes; not sure
   we can't get around to not translating them; they appear in the
   UI for inspecting a hard disk, e.g.

    http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdu-smart.png

   (note, the UI is not very pretty right now.. but I do expect us to
    list all attributes including localized names and descriptions)

 - src/gdu/gdu-util.c
   All the various MS-DOS partition types (and there is a lot of these)
   are marked for translation. For example

   - Hidden FAT16 <32M (0x14)
   - PartitionMagic (0x3c)

   Maybe we don't really want this, I mean these are more names than
   anything so maybe we it shouldn't be marked for translation. Or
   maybe translators can just decide not to translate it. Maybe I
   can just add Translator: comments for that. Thoughts?

Thanks for any insights.

     David