Localized personal names (was Is --signoff required for git.gnome.org and translations?)

Simos <simos lists googlemail com>, Sat, 4 Apr 2009 00:45:08 +0100:

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Claude Paroz <claude 2xlibre net> wrote:
>
> > Le vendredi 03 avril 2009 à 20:26 +0100, Simos a écrit :
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Is --signoff required when committing translations to git.gnome.org?
> > > The signoff option adds the committer's name/e-mail in the commit
> > > message.
> >
> > Looking at some current git modules, it doesn't seem to be a current
> > practice. If you see any utility to this option, tell us. Otherwise,
> > let's keep things as simple as possible. We have already the committer
> > info, and possibly an alternate author one.
>

> It is mentioned in
> http://git.gnome.org/cgit/glib/tree/README.commits
> http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gtk+/tree/README.commits
> that a sign-off should be added when committing.

On a similar note, do you guys think it's a good practice to use localized
translators', committers' etc. personal names, or is it better to stick with
the good old ASCII? That is, considering languages with Latin-based
alphabet primarily.

Cheers
Petr Kovar, or, if you like, Petr Kovář