Re: Virtaal 0.2 released

F Wolff <friedel translate org za>, Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:07:06 +0200:

> On Ma, 2008-10-20 at 21:39 +0200, Petr Kovar wrote:

(...)

> It might be interesting to read on the project website about the
> direction we want to take. I'm not sure how you would compare that with
> other translation tools, but I'd like to think that we will end in
> different places. Read some more about our considerations here:
> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/development_plans

Thanks for the link, Friedel. Personally, I think that those three features
on the said page are a must for really rocking editor. So as Gudmund said
in his message, I'm looking forward (too).

Other than that, what I miss in Poedit or kaider/lokalize is a toolbar
and shortcuts allowing one to comfortably move between various
types of edited/searched/filtered/whatever messages.

As for TM, I think that the current implementation in KBabel is far better
than its successor's or Poedit's one (that is reflecting the memory database
generation, management of various TM sources, a dedicated window in the
program base layout, etc.), with one exception though, and by that I mean
automatic searching the TM during translation and the related copying
search results to edited message. Here, lokalize seemed to be somewhat
better or more powerful during my tryouts. Further, the TM accessed through
context menu in the message list as we can see in Poedit didn't
convince me at all.

What I also like about KBabel but miss in Poedit (and what, in my opinion,
would be great to see in a newly developed editor): multiple translation
projects support in user configuration, spell check the whole catalog in
one step (like in many text editors), undo/redo (not sure about these
two features in dev version of Poedit right now), and whitespaces display
(very helpful, but not in a buggy way like in old gtranslator, though).

So these are my thoughts on editors for now. :-)

> About the catalog manager: I'd like to make sure that I understand
> exactly what it is you are looking for. In other words, what problem are
> we trying to solve (rather than just "be like babel")?

I was talking about catalog editor, not manager, it seems like I wasn't
clear enough, sorry if I confused you. Honestly, a catalog manager (let's
say a simple one like in Poedit) would be nice too, but I wouldn't call it
a must in any case. :-)

Regards,
Petr Kovar