Re: Virtaal 0.2 released

Hi!

F Wolff <friedel translate org za>, Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:15:37 +0200:

> Hallo everybody
>
> I realise not all of you might be following the news of our project, so
> I'm sharing the news with my fellow GNOME translators. I'm interested to
> hear what you think.

I'm somewhat surprised that no GNOME translator has replied till now so I
think I might change the fact. (Maybe there were some off-list replies
eventually?)

Looking at the Virtaal feature list, it seems pretty impressive
(especially the supported format list, and that automatic functionality). I
didn't test it enough to give some meaningful comprehensive rating though.
What I want to say is that in my opinion the open-source l10n world right
now is in need of a fully featured catalog editor that'd be able to
supersede now totally outdated KBabel for KDE3.

Nota bene we already have a simple or minimalist multiplatform catalog
editor available, i.e. Poedit. And Virtaal, in the current feature state,
seems to be competing rather with Poedit than KBabel (though there are some
exceptional features in Virtaal that I probably wouldn't call
"minimalist"). What I should throw in here is that KDE's Lokalize
unfortunately lacks many important features of KBabel and its development
seems to be heading towards slightly different direction than the original
KBabel project.

So do you have or do you know of any plans regarding a "heavy-weight"
catalog solution I've mentioned? That'd be really, really nice. :-)

Regards,
Petr Kovar