Re: Virtaal 0.2 released

On Ma, 2008-10-20 at 21:39 +0200, Petr Kovar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> F Wolff <friedel translate org za>, Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:15:37 +0200:
>
> > Hallo everybody
> >
> > I realise not all of you might be following the news of our project, so
> > I'm sharing the news with my fellow GNOME translators. I'm interested to
> > hear what you think.
>
> I'm somewhat surprised that no GNOME translator has replied till now so I
> think I might change the fact. (Maybe there were some off-list replies
> eventually?)

Thank you for your feedback, Petr.

> Looking at the Virtaal feature list, it seems pretty impressive
> (especially the supported format list, and that automatic functionality). I
> didn't test it enough to give some meaningful comprehensive rating though.
> What I want to say is that in my opinion the open-source l10n world right
> now is in need of a fully featured catalog editor that'd be able to
> supersede now totally outdated KBabel for KDE3.
>
> Nota bene we already have a simple or minimalist multiplatform catalog
> editor available, i.e. Poedit. And Virtaal, in the current feature state,
> seems to be competing rather with Poedit than KBabel (though there are some
> exceptional features in Virtaal that I probably wouldn't call
> "minimalist"). What I should throw in here is that KDE's Lokalize
> unfortunately lacks many important features of KBabel and its development
> seems to be heading towards slightly different direction than the original
> KBabel project.
>
> So do you have or do you know of any plans regarding a "heavy-weight"
> catalog solution I've mentioned? That'd be really, really nice. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Petr Kovar

It might be interesting to read on the project website about the
direction we want to take. I'm not sure how you would compare that with
other translation tools, but I'd like to think that we will end in
different places. Read some more about our considerations here:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/development_plans

About the catalog manager: I'd like to make sure that I understand
exactly what it is you are looking for. In other words, what problem are
we trying to solve (rather than just "be like babel")?

Thank you again for your feedback.

Keep well
Friedel

--