Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

Hello Theppitak,

you raised an interesting question. There a few precedents, but I doubt
those cases validate the solution you propose:
  The first precedent that comes to mind is the reason the cheap sedan
from USSR was named "Lada"(archaic Slavic for "beautiful girl") instead
of the original "Zhiguli"(mountains in the area the car factory was
build by Fiat) because it was phonetically too close to "Gigolo".
  Another one is the "Firefox" in fox hating counties. This one is more
ridiculous then the previous one -- "firefox" is not a fox, but a red
Panda(unrelated to the entire dog family to which the real fox belongs).

I've mentioned those two examples in the wain attempt to prove that some
(many/most) of the "cultural" sensitivities are ridiculous to the point
of being foony.

When I saw "foot"(long, long time ago) as a "Gnome Desktop" emblem I was
not happy. I thought that the stinkiest part of the human body did not
deserve to be an emblem of the one of the most important GNU projects.
It had nothing to do with the cultural(Russian) background, it was my
personal reaction. I am  still a Gnome "bigot" and that "Foot" does not
bother me much anymore (all emblems are stupid). I even find it kinda
cool now - rebellious, in-your-face sort of thing.

Please, please think twice, trice, ... before claiming cultural
differences/problems. Please check if it is just you.

PS. To me, the good example of culturally insensitive emblem would be
the old indo-europen symbol for the raising sun ("kolovrat" in Slavic).
The next in line is the sickle-and-hammer variant.