Re: editing .po files

Hello Ibrahima,

Ibraahiima SAAR skrev:
> Hello everybody,
>  Is there an online traslation plate-form or not? If not, what's the best
> programme (Windows) for editing .po files?

if you really have to work in Windows, these are the alternatives that
come to mind (other than trying to compile/get Gtranslator into working
in Windows):

Emacs or Xemacs in po mode (be prepared for a bit of a learning curve if
you're not used to Emacs) <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/>,
<http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/gettext/PO-Mode.html>;
<http://www.xemacs.org/>, <http://drupal.org/node/25117>

Lokalizer (will replace Kbabel) in KDE on Windows. I've tried it
briefly, *seems* to work well enough for "conscious" usage, despite both
Lokalize and the Windows port being beta stage. <http://windows.kde.org/>

Deja Vu X from Atril (proprietary tool for professionals - powerful, but
not especially cheap and has some issues one should be aware of for po
files, like manually editing headers before import, inserting any plural
forms below each other using "return" inside each target row and
double-checking \n in the exported translations for double escapes
"\\n") <http://atril.com>

Heartsome Translation Editor (proprietary tool, java, AFAIR converts to
XLIFF, so there may be some file conversion issues)
<http://www.heartsome.net/EN/xlfedit.html>

Swordfish (proprietary tool, java, AFAIR also converts to XLIFF, so
there may be some file conversion issues)
<http://www.maxprograms.com/products/swordfish.html>

Another approach might be using Translate Toolkit conversion tools right
off (remaining aware of their limitations) and translating using a tool
of your choice that can handle whatever the converters can give you, e.
g. the open source Omega-T for e. g. Xliff files (it may have the same
problems as Swordfish and Heartsome if you use Xliff, due AFAIR to
conversion issues).

The Translate Toolkit: <http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/>

OmegaT: <http://www.omegat.org/>

Here's another alternative that just came to mind:
<https://open-language-tools.dev.java.net/editor/about-xliff-editor.html>
<https://open-language-tools.dev.java.net/>

Something you should at any rate always do after translating, is to
check that the po file format is in order with gettext (Lokalizer/Kbabel
has it neatly integrated, reachable via keyboard shortcut).

(Just BTW, isn't/wasn't there a Gnome page with all manner of links and
tips like these?)

HTH,
Gudmund