Re: Plural forms in translations

Le vendredi 07 mars 2008 à 15:15 +0530, Runa Bhattacharjee a écrit :
> Hi Claude,
>
> Claude Paroz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I noticed today that several translations (especially Marathi, Bengali,
> > Hindi, Indonesian and others) have problems because of the plural form.
> > See e.g. http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/mr/gnome-2-22
> >
> > Please, do not commit translations into GNOME SVN without checking first
> > that they pass 'msgfmt' check command:
> >
> > msgfmt -vvc -o /dev/null mr.po
> >
> > When there is a plural string, like this:
> >
> > msgid "There is a tab with errors"
> > msgid_plural "There are %d tabs with errors"
> >
> > You have to add the %d format string in your translation (if it is
> > present in the original string). At runtime, %d will be replaced by a
> > real number.
> >
> > Please, correct the files as soon as possible.
> >

> Thanks for bringing this up. I have been updating the bn_IN.po files the
> past week after passing it with msgfmt, but none of the files show an
> errors:
>
> [runab runab file-roller]$ msgfmt -cv -o /dev/null bn_IN.po
> 259 translated messages.

Weird.
$ msgfmt -vvc -o /dev/null bn_IN.po
bn_IN.po:124: number of format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr[1]'
does not match
msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
259 translated messages.

$ msgfmt --version
msgfmt (GNU gettext-tools) 0.16.1

In the particular case of file-roller bn_IN.po, the problem is that
msgstr[1] (translated plural form) is empty at line 125.

Claude