Re: Plural forms in translations

Hi Claude,

Claude Paroz wrote:
Hi all,

I noticed today that several translations (especially Marathi, Bengali,
Hindi, Indonesian and others) have problems because of the plural form. See e.g. http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/mr/gnome-2-22

Please, do not commit translations into GNOME SVN without checking first
that they pass 'msgfmt' check command:

msgfmt -vvc -o /dev/null mr.po

When there is a plural string, like this:

msgid "There is a tab with errors"
msgid_plural "There are %d tabs with errors"

You have to add the %d format string in your translation (if it is
present in the original string). At runtime, %d will be replaced by a
real number.

Please, correct the files as soon as possible.

Thanks for bringing this up. I have been updating the bn_IN.po files the past week after passing it with msgfmt, but none of the files show an errors:

[runab runab file-roller]$ msgfmt -cv -o /dev/null bn_IN.po 259 translated messages.

However, could this error be due to conflict in the Translator Editor settings (being set to Non-requirement of the plural form) and the header section of these files still containing the plural form equation (from an earlier time when people where still learning about po-file headers)?

Meanwhile, I am redoing the plural form messages. Won't make much difference though, but as long as it makes the red circles go away.

Thanks

regards
Runa

--