Re: Formal request for change of kn_IN l10n Coordinator

Hello Pramod,
[CC'ing debian-l10n-kannada again. Please do not remove it.]

On 04/03/2008, Pramod R <pramodleo yahoo co uk> wrote:
Err..why? If the logic is the larger no. of translations (a paltry 9%), (which to top, were carried out, without letting the current translators/co-ordinator or anyone in any of the other translation communities in the loop and is of questionable quality) then it would be a very bad precedent.

1. Nothing was done in secret.  We started our efforts around a year ago and it took us this long to create a team and get it moving. I had initiated work on Debian and now feel that our team can take this work forward in a manner that benefits the project.
There was bit of a ripple in May 2007 regarding the Kannada GNOME glossary http://www.mail-archive.com/gnome-i18n gnome org/msg06248.html
2. Apart from doing new translations, we are working to improve the quality of the existing translations as they too contain numerous errors.  No project comes bug free. The question is what are we going to do to improve it.
3. You have been inactive for long periods and Mr. Shankar Prasad(from Redhat) has done quite a bit of work here.
I am not discounting the work that any of you have done but only requesting you to pass on the torch to us so that we can take it forward.
4. By involving various educational institutions we are actually improving the amount of participation and also quality(contrary to your claim).  This is community effort and the spirit of Free(Swatantra) Software.
I hope that you can see the genuineness in my request.
Thank you.
With warm regards,
--
Vikram Vincent