Re: Updating svn head, trunk and branch.

Le samedi 01 mars 2008 à 04:16 +0000, Anna Jonna Armannsdottir a écrit :
> I do not quite understand the advice given in
> Other hints in the LocalisationGuide. It says:
> http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/LocalisationGuide#head-a3983f3a5960c2e1d2ef4dae83e9c8a200067216
> > Don't leave it ages to get stuff on the branch. We fell for this.
> > However long it takes to check out the branch and update your
> > translation, and however painful it is, if you intend to do both HEAD
> > and branch, apply the changes to both. If you don't, you will meet a
> > day when you spend hours and hours and hours doing nothing but feeding
> > stuff back onto the branch.
>
> I presume that a translator can only concentrate on one .po file, at
> a time. If that is correct, then the translator must choose between
> branches and trunk/head.
> Is it a better choice to always stick tho the trunk, and then update
> the branches later.
> Or is it better to update one branch or several branches, and then
> updating the trunk/head?

The general rule is to work on trunk.
However if you're translating for a specific release of GNOME and the
package you're translating has already branched [1], then you have to
work on the branch. In this particular case, the counsel is to
immediately merge [2] your work in trunk, so as the next release will
also contain your new translations.

Claude

[1] On l10n.gnome.org, you can see the branch to translate for a
specific module when you let the mouse on a module name (wait for
tooltip to appear). E.g.
http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/is/gnome-2-22

[2] See 'man msgmerge'