Re: New team for Dari (prs)

2008/6/25 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny eglug org>:
> What about the case like Arabic where we have one common "ar" locale
> where all translations reside, and several "ar_XX" locales per country
> to allow different locale settings. If Dari is spoken in different
> countries, it might not be a good idea to force all Dari speakers to
> use one single locale.

This is a good comparison, but you don't know how arbitrary ISO 639-3
is. Let's see what ISO 639-3 has for Arabic: 30 language codes!
(From http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=ara)
    * Algerian Arabic [arq]
    * Algerian Saharan Arabic [aao]
    * Babalia Creole Arabic [bbz]
    * Baharna Arabic [abv]
    * Chadian Arabic [shu]
    * Cypriot Arabic [acy]
    * Dhofari Arabic [adf]
    * Eastern Egyptian Bedawi Arabic [avl]
    * Egyptian Arabic [arz]
    * Gulf Arabic [afb]
    * Hadrami Arabic [ayh]
    * Hijazi Arabic [acw]
    * Libyan Arabic [ayl]
    * Mesopotamian Arabic [acm]
    * Moroccan Arabic [ary]
    * Najdi Arabic [ars]
    * North Levantine Arabic [apc]
    * North Mesopotamian Arabic [ayp]
    * Omani Arabic [acx]
    * Saidi Arabic [aec]
    * Sanaani Arabic [ayn]
    * Shihhi Arabic [ssh]
    * South Levantine Arabic [ajp]
    * Standard Arabic [arb]
    * Sudanese Arabic [apd]
    * Sudanese Creole Arabic [pga]
    * Ta'izzi-Adeni Arabic [acq]
    * Tajiki Arabic [abh]
    * Tunisian Arabic [aeb]
    * Uzbeki Arabic [auz]

In GNU/Linux locales, we don't go and use "ary" or "ary_MA" instead of
"ar_MA" for Moroccan Arabic simply since ISO 639-3 provides the code.
We use ISO 639-1 codes whenever possible. Also, saying Dari is spoken
in many countries is like saying Gulf Arabic is spoken in many
countries. Yes, it is, but Qatari Arabic should not use "afb" or
"afb_QA": it should use "ar_QA".

Best,
Roozbeh