Re: New team for Dari (prs)

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Mazdak Kiani <mazdak kiani yahoo com> wrote:
> My language ISO 639-3 code is prs:
>
>          http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=prs
>          http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=prs

When we can use ISO 639-1 language codes, we should use those. ISO
639-3 should only be used when a code does not exist.

Locale projects, including Unicode CLDR, use fa_AF for Dari. For
example, see here:

http://unicode.org/cldr/apps/survey?_=fa_AF&x=languages

The list of languages mentioned, for example, shows Afghan names of
languages, like "hespaanavi" for Spanish (vs. Iranian Persian
"espaaniaayi") and "dari" for Persian (vs. Iranian Persian "faarsi").

Same is true about the "Computer Locale Requirements for Afghanistan"
project, commissioned by the United Nations Development Programme and
approved by Afghanistan's Ministry of Communications, which recommends
the code fa_AF again (disclaimer: I'm a co-author of that report):

http://www.evertype.com/standards/af/

Using fa_AF, your users will also have the benefit of seeing Iranian
Persian translations when a Dari translation is not yet available,
which helps the users a lot, as Iranian Persian is almost always
legible to Afghans.

Good luck,
Roozbeh