Re: New team for Dari (prs)

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 08:43:07AM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 08:07 +0300, Tommi Vainikainen wrote:
> > According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari_%28Persian%29)
> > this Dari language is also spoken in Pakistan, Tajikistan and
> > Turkmenistan. Should Dari speakers in those countries use country code
> > _AF as their locale? Isn't such usage problematic in many ways?
> >
> > Therefore I argue that technically it is better to use three letter
> > language codes if ISO standard has assigned a separate code, because
> > then there is no disambiguity of using country codes etc.
>
> Yeah, like, because English is spoken in so many countries, why do we
> have en_US, en_CA, en_UK, ...?

What about the case like Arabic where we have one common "ar" locale
where all translations reside, and several "ar_XX" locales per country
to allow different locale settings. If Dari is spoken in different
countries, it might not be a good idea to force all Dari speakers to
use one single locale.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team