Re: unsupported native african and creole languages?

On 6/14/08, Paulo Silva <nitrofurano gmail com> wrote:
> I can't find at Gnome TranslationProject any support to native african
> languages (like kimbundu, zulu, xhosa, etc.) and creole (like jamaican,
> capeverdian, etc.)
>
> My concern is about it seems to having lots of people using these languages
> as their main one, more than their nation oficially used...
>
> Is it planned to having support on these languages on future versions?

GNOME does not "plan" any support for any language at all; like all
free software efforts, is it more an issue of whoever volunteers to
implement the support, i.e. if there are any volunteers speaking said
languages who are willing to contribute and willing to step forward.

That being said, some of the languages you mention do seem to have
active teams:
http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/ht
http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/xh
http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/zu

If you want to help improve the situation, these links will be useful:
http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/JoiningTranslation
http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/StartingATeam