Re: Translator credits (to maintainers)

On ב', 2008-07-21 at 13:06 +0200, Petr Kovar wrote:
> Yair Hershkovitz <yairhr gmail com>, Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:18:40 +0300:
>
> > On ו', 2008-07-18 at 21:23 +0200, Petr Kovar wrote:
> > > Jonh Wendell <jwendell gnome org>, Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:00:41 -0300:

> > > Well, then this fact should be noted by the commiter in the changelog
> > > entry (and in the commit log message). The name in the "Last
> > > Translator" field may often lists the person who actually done the
> > > proof-reading only, not the translation work itself. (At least this is
> > > the case in the Czech translation team.)
> > >

> > This is just equivalent of saying that the proof-reader should make sure
> > he does not change the "Last Translator" field.
>
> Is it? Then that would be rather difficult considering the proof-readers
> using the very same software as translators and the majority of editors
> updating the "Last Translator" field every time one saves a catalog.

This is just a simple text file. I don't know about other proof-readers
but myself I'm using msgmerge and meld to do the job. Anyway, as I said
a proof-reader can take the necessary steps to make sure the field does
not change or restored if it did.

My point is that it is just as hard for the commiter to properly set the
translator name in the ChangeLog  then it is for the proof-reader to
keep the correctness of the "Last Translator" line. Again, speaking for
myself in the commiter hat, sometimes i do forget and miss the
translator name in the ChangeLog.

> This seems like an argument for not rely on the "Last Translator" field at
> all, especially when using some make-a-release script that is more likely
> "error prone" in my opinion.

Does it really matter? Does having the translator names in the release
notes worth everyone effort? If the credits are so important for someone
than let him do the hard work of verifying he is listed and contacting
maintainers if not.