Re: Slowness in farsi translation

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 11:48 -0700, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> > If Sharif Linux is 100%
> > translated, it can't be explained by limited number of packages and Linux
> > distribution differences unless Persian Gnome 2.10 translation was close
> > to 100% and it degraded to 74% in 2.14 due to lots of changes in
> > translations. I don't think that translation can lose 25% of strings in
> > just two major Gnome releases.
>
> I don't understand this line of reasoning at all. Please explain.
> Where did you get your numbers from? What do you think happened?

I never ran Sharif Linux, so I don't even know how the translations
there look like, but I'm sure what has happened is:

  - FarsiWeb translated GNOME circa 2.14 to over 80% at which point
Persian was marked "supported" in GNOME.  FarsiWeb also released Sharif
Linux based on that.  As one expects from a Linux distribution of a
minimum quality control, Sharif Linux's default desktop was fully
translated.

  - FarsiWeb then moved resources out of translation work, that resulted
in Persian stats going down over two or more release cycle to the
seventy-something that they stand now.

  - Ubuntu shipped GNOME, but then changed some words, namely, the
infamous menu name change from whatever it was in upstream GNOME to
"System".  That showed up untranslated in the Persian desktop.

I find the whole idea of attacking the GNOME Persian translation team
based on quality of Persian support shipped on a distro like Ubuntu
which is notorious for making upstream-unhappy changes quite ridiculous.
Moreover, Sharif Linux is a Free Software distro.  Anyone in Iran can
buy it for a modest price and request the source code, blah blah.

To summarize:
All conspiracy theories and no code makes for an unhealthy way to
collaborate.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/