Re: Kannada(kn_IN) translation of pessulus.HEAD.kn.po

Vikram,
All well and good, but please follow the process that is in place and with an already existing community. The Gnome 2.22 UI translations are at around 51% (http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/kn/gnome-2-22) and it hardly is inactive and so is the KDE/Firefox translations. OO.o will pick up soon, now that I am handing it over to Shankar Prasad. The Sampada team works closely with us and their localisation section  acts as the home page for the Kannada.sf.net project.

----- Original Message ----
From: Vikram Vincent <vincentvikram gmail com>
To: Pramod R <pramodleo yahoo co uk>
Cc: Claude Paroz <claude 2xlibre net>; Gnome i18n <gnome-i18n gnome org>; debian-l10n-kannada lists debian org
Sent: Tuesday, 26 February, 2008 10:10:19 AM
Subject: Re: Kannada(kn_IN) translation of pessulus.HEAD.kn.po

Hello Pramod,
[cc'ing debian-l10n-kannada list]

On 26/02/2008, Pramod R <pramodleo yahoo co uk> wrote:

This is because:
1. The translation of GNOME, OO.org and others has been slow and marked with long periods of inactivity.
2. While you, Shankar Prasad and others have contributed to translations, the method of individual contributions alone is not sufficient to ensure long term support or ensure the development of a team who will continue the good work.
3. I have recently taken up the responsibility of co-ordinating the localisation of Debian to Kannada.
4. I am actively enlisting the support of Kannada Depts. of various educational institutions towards this effort and the Kannada dept. of Christ College, Bangalore, ( http://www.christcollege.edu ) is noted for its contributions to the Gutenberg project w.r.t. Kannada.
5. Please do check the Entrans application now. Around 2000+ strings have already been completed over and above the previous listed work. The translations will be reviewed and then submitted as bug reports(for now). If you would like to review them again - please feel free to do so.
I have jumped in with the idea of ensuring the sustained localisation of GNOME, OO and other free software in the long run and will continue to work in this direction.
With warm wishes,
Vikram Vincent
PS: I just realised that even the Sampada team have a "Kannada Localisation Initiative" on their page http://kannada.sampada.net/
In order to remove ambiguity between the two, I have renamed ours as "Swatantra.Org [Kannada Localisation Project]" http://swatantra.org/