Re: Rethinking "Supported language"

On Feb 19, 2008 5:14 PM, F Wolff <friedel translate org za> wrote:
> Op Dinsdag 2008-02-19 skryf Wouter Bolsterlee:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Currently, http://www.gnome.org/i18n/ states that a language is officially
> > "supported" if 80% of the PO files is translated. I think this measure is no
> > longer valid for modern Gnome releases, because of the 'Development Tools'
> > suite. It contains the following modules:

> > My proposal is: only use the modules from the developer platform, desktop
> > and administration tools when calculating the 80% coverage statistic (i.e.
> > all module sets but the developer tools).
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> >   mvrgr, Wouter
>

> My "team" is now at less than 15% for 2.22. Obviously I won't even
> consider translating these ever (or let's be positive: in the
> foreseeable future :-)
>
> There are of course other modules that I consider to be in the same
> category, and other people might not agree with me. Things like
> libbonobo and Glib for example.
>
> While GNOME grows, catching up from less than 15% might be impossible
> for a single person with limited time, and ideally we should find ways
> of making this limited time have the biggest possible impact. In
> reality, exactly which 20% of the whole is untranslated, can have a big
> effect on the end-user experience. --help text for example, is not
> really that important for many users.
>
> Anyway, just some extra thoughts. In other words, I agree, Wouter!
Good stats and a string with your name in release notes is not the
reason to translate I think. The reason is the lack of good
translations, isn't it? Of course, we should provide our translators
with general directions on priorities of GNOME modules (and as long as
I know we do it on Wiki, isn't it?) but... Why i18r's work on l10ning
development tool is not worth mentioning in release notes but for
"orca" (accessibility tool) it's worth saying? For you guys who want
to see your names in release notes quickly I propose such sentence:
"GNOME is XX% translated in YYY language, with ZZ% completed for
desktop components". And we also should provide a new "Module set" -
"Accessibility tools" I think.