Re: Import from Launchpad

Hi Johannes,

On January 26th, Johannes Schmid wrote:

>> I think it doesn't need to be done via the GNOME Foundation (well, if
>> you really want, we can certainly do it): we know people working on
>> Rosetta/Launchpad, and it's only a matter of making it clear that it's
>> really important to most, if not all, GNOME translation teams.
>>
>> One problem is that this might not be considered high priority (and
>> since it's not free software, nobody can help...).
>
> Well, I just would want that it is some kind of official request and the
> foundation came into my mind. If you think there is another way to
> arrange these things and give them a high priority then I have no
> problem.
>
> Anyway, until now there are only few people involved in this. So we
> should find out if there is a general agreement that we want frozen
> upstream translations. If we archive this I would ask someone of the
> board to write some kind of request.
>
> I think just some little voices saying that we want it might not really
> solve our problem but if we have a good base it's much more likely that
> they will hear us.

As Vincent mentioned: you have people you know which work on Launchpad
Translations.  Hi there :)

However, as explained in the bug report[1] you filed and my
comment[2], it's not a trivial task.  I'd say the problem originates
with the original design of Launchpad Translations, and it's now very
hard (i.e. involves a lot of work) to fix it.

I am particularly interested in making cooperation between upstream
and Launchpad much better.  And I am pushing Launchpad in that
direction, but it won't happen overnight.  See the bug report for why
it's impossible to do this with a simple flip of the switch.

I am also particularly concerned about what you guys feel about this,
because I need to survive next GUADEC as well.

Cheers,
Danilo

[1]https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+bug/188907
[2]https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+bug/188907/comments/8