Re: Can we add avahi to d-l?

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Claude Paroz <claude 2xlibre net> wrote:
> Le samedi 30 août 2008 à 04:05 +0200, Petr Kovar a écrit :
>> Gabor Kelemen <kelemeng gnome hu>, Fri, 29 Aug 2008 21:11:18 +0200:
>>
>> > According to this blog entry, avahi can be translated via Transifex:
>> >
>> > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-on-tx.html
>>
>> A minor remark on Transifex follows, please ignore if you wish...
>>
>> So to submit new translations for avahi, pulseaudio and other upstream
>> projects, one has to go downstream, join the Fedora Project community, i.e.
>> apply for an account, sign the Contributors License Agreement, even supply
>> one's postal address and telephone number. [1] Hmm, seems like a victory...
>> for Red Hat, indeed. ;-)

Disclaimer (if it matters at all): I don't work for Red Hat. :-)

> There is a sort of implicit convention among translation projects that
> upstream translations for common software is not hosted in downstream
> tools.

+1. And that was one of the design principles of Transifex:
Translations should always be hosted upstream and shared among all
projects.

It's worth noting that translations submitted through Transifex
(Pulseaudio and packagekit are notable examples) are still *hosted
upstream*. Projects with a Tx instance just have an entry-point to the
source: the maintainers trust a (downstream) community to submit
translations to their VCS.

In fact, any community can have its own Tx and do the same. Heck, even
a translator himself can have his own Tx instance using his SSH keys
to help him organize his work. That's why in Transifex's context, the
term 'upstream/downstream' loses its meaning: there are just projects
to submit to and communities that want commit access. Fedora and GNOME
are both "downstream" to Pulseaudio, and also to system-config-printer
which happens to be developed on fedorahosted.org.

> Transifex is a really good project and I hope we'll soon be able to take
> advantage of it for GNOME and other upstream projects, but I'm clearly
> against dispersing upstream translations among various downstream
> projects.
> I suggest using the Translation Project until there is a common
> agreement about a shared/upstream validated Transifex instance.

Now _this_ is a really cool project. And  it makes total sense, since
it kinda loses the point to force upstream folks choose from a bunch
of downstream-hosted Tx instances. The idea is to have a common Tx
instance [^1] where translators can submit stuff to any project. With
good user groups, permissions and stuff, this might even make L10n
suck less!

  http://transifex.org/roadmap

Elves & hackers wanted.

-d

[^1]: This of course doesn't prevent any community to have its own Tx
instance too.

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/