Re: major libgweather Locations updates

On Aug 5, 2008, at 21:46 , Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 21:42 +0300, Александър Шопов wrote:
This immense change is something that I personally do not approve of.
Translating cities, huts, hamlets and jerk water somewhere is no
particular fun. And there is no particular use of this.
I as a coordinator of the Bulgarian Gnome project am putting translation
of the places in gweather in the trash.
The developers of gweather can scrape atlases and maps for whatever
damn, uninhabited place on Earth (or Moon actually, why the smeg is Mare
Tranquillitatis missing from gweather?) or stranded military base.
Life is way too short for this shit.
The least they could have done is to have provided us with IPA
transcriptions.
I cannot think of any motif for their deed but the direst passion to be
blogged about in linuxhaters.
Come on guys, you could have contacted the team there directly, no need
for such convoluted ways. This is not the incredible machine, you are
not Rube Goldberg.
al_shopov

Please keep your rants to yourself, or just send to linuxhaters
directly.  This kind of language is *not* appreciated.  Neither by
gweather developers, nor by other translators, or any other member of
the project, or really, any sane person

Well, I share his desperation with this change, and while his use of words is telling things in too harsh or inappropriate ways for many, he is kind of right.

The real question is why we were translating all kind of obscure military base names in the first place, and not the approximate place names which would make much more sense to anyone living around the area. Not trying to blame anyone, it would have been huge task to do this right from the beginning, only thing is that now the huge task of fixing things is multiplied by languages wishing to keep things fully translated 100%.

This might be the most important case of 'get your original translations right to start with' we have ever seen. Personally, I got tired with gcompris doing pretty much same thing regularly, you get 20-40% of fuzzy or untranslated strings when the change is just change in wording or adding a comma or dot somewhere. Gcompris is developed by French people and I understand the reasons why it was not perfect to start with, but with gcompris I got too tired follow all the changes. I promise to do it 'soon' but...

Our team, finnish, will follow do the tedious task of redoing all of gweather before release, I just want to remind everyone: try to write good English whenever you write some terms to translate. Any change you need to do to original strings mean useless extra work for hundreds of translators, even if it's just 'oh they added a comma to the phrase'

	*hile*