Re: Translating "yes" and "no" as answers to specific questions

2008-04-07 klockan 16:21 skrev Thomas Thurman:
> I was working the other day on bug 335763, which allowed zenity yes/no
> dialogues to have arbitrary text on the "yes" and "no" buttons.  It
> occurred to me today that this is actually a more general problem for
> yes/no dialogues in languages where the answers to such questions depend
> on the verb used.  (I know Irish and Welsh have this feature.)

According to the Gnome HIG, yes/no dialogs should be avoided:

| Button Phrasing
|
| Write button labels as imperative verbs, for example Save, Print. This
| allows users to select an action with less hesitation. An active phrase
| also fits best with the button's role in initiating actions, as contrasted
| with a more passive phrase. For example Find and Log In are better buttons
| than than Yes and OK.

Source: http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/windows-alert.html.en#alert-button-order

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

if it gets you down :: well just don't blame me   -- queens of the stone age