Translating "yes" and "no" as answers to specific questions

I was working the other day on bug 335763, which allowed zenity yes/no
dialogues to have arbitrary text on the "yes" and "no" buttons.  It
occurred to me today that this is actually a more general problem for
yes/no dialogues in languages where the answers to such questions depend
on the verb used.  (I know Irish and Welsh have this feature.)

For example, from gossip:

msgid "Do you already have an account set up on a server?"
msgstr "A oes cyfrif ar weinydd Jabber gennych eisoes?"

Creating a dialogue with gtk_message_dialog_new() will give us buttons
called "Ie" and "Nage", which are generic unfocussed yes/no words.

I am turning over whether gettext might be appropriately extended to
something like, perhaps

#, yes-no
msgid "Do you already have an account set up on a server?"
msgstr "A oes cyfrif ar weinydd Jabber gennych eisoes?"
msgstr[y] "Oes"
msgstr[n] "Nac oes"

or possibly we might extend gtk so that the message_format string can
(perhaps if passed a special flag) contain yes/no text for the buttons
as appropriate, which would require minimal changes anywhere else:

msgid "Do you already have an account set up on a server?"
msgstr ""
"A oes cyfrif ar weinydd Jabber gennych eisoes?%(Oes)yb%(Nac oes)nb"

The second is my preferred option out of the two.  It doesn't look hard
to implement, either.

Thoughts?  Would this be useful outside the Celtic languages?

peace

Thomas Thurman, tthurman at gnome, http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman
No problem there -- it already is.