Re: Translating "yes" and "no" as answers to specific questions

Scríobh Claude Paroz:
Couldn't you find a way to rephrase the question in the translation so
as the answer is always the generic yes and no?
Speaking for Irish, I'm not sure this is always possible, even in a stilted fashion (as Thomas mentions). The best approximations to "Yes" and "No" that the Irish translators (for Firefox and KDE as well) have come up with so far translate as "It is" and "It isn't". It would certainly make every yes-or-no question awkward and I'm certain there are a few that can't be rephrased into something both sensible and correct.

For that matter, this problem isn't isolated to GTK+ software. This same problem exists in KDE. It seems to me like it would be better to address this outside of GTK+ but this again brings up the problem of "Is this worth it for the Celtic languages alone?" Certainly it's more than two but not by much. Still, the resulting translations are very awkward and I think it needs to be addressed somehow. If accurate translations are impossible, something's wrong. Perhaps a more generic solution could be found that fixes similar problems in other languages.

Seán de Búrca