Re: Translating "yes" and "no" as answers to specific questions

Ysgrifennodd F Wolff:
> I would really want to encourage you to keep things as simple as
> possible. If you want a different translation for "yes" depending on
> context, this is what msgctxt is meant for. Use msgctxt to specify the
> unique context ("have"?), and provide a comment to explain to
> translators what the issue is.

I think you are missing my point.  I am not approaching this problem as
a programmer; rather, I am considering it from the point of view of a
translator.  There are languages in which every yes/no question might
reasonably have a different verbal representation of assent or dissent.
I can't go through every gtk application in the world and ask their
programmers to add representations of the verb into msgctxt.  Even if I
could, there still wouldn't be any way for the translators to specify
what the translation of "yes" and "no" should be for that particular
question.

The reason I gave the examples I did was that to all application
programmers, and to most translators, they won't look any different from
what we have now.

peace

Thomas Thurman, tthurman at gnome, http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman
You don't find anything under the machine.