Re: Introducing open-tran.eu

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 19:47 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 28.03.2007, 19:37 +0200 schrieb Jacek Śliwerski:
> > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
> > Being honest - I have no idea, which version I use.  I have downloaded
> > the translations from svn.gnome.org/svn/.../trunk.  How can I tell which
> > version of Gnome it is?
>
> svn.gnome.org/svn/.../trunk
>   is the current trunk/HEAD where the latest, unstable development takes
> place.
>
> svn.gnome.org/svn/.../branches/gnome-2-18
>   is the current stable branch, named "gnome-2-18". note that not every
> module uses the name "gnome-2-18", it's only the proposed branch name.

If you want to get the precise list of what branch corresponds to each
GNOME release, you would need to parse the file releases.xml.in that is
found in
http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/damned-lies/trunk/
The same file is used to generate the translation statistics, that also
show the individual updated .po files for each language. In this thread
I showed a simple wget command to grab the .po files for a specific
language.

Those .po files from the statistics pages are "fresh" .po files; suppose
I last translated glade to Greek in 2003, then the .po file found on SVN
will probably be that old 2003 version. If you want to update the .po
file to reflect the current state of the codebase (old messages become
obsolete, new messages appear), you would need to run manually
"intltool-update el" in the "po" subdirectory. This should be on top of
the SVN checkout command. Now, the .po files that are found at the
translation pages are generated from precisely that "intltool-update LL"
command, and are always fresh.

What would be beneficial to have, follow each GNOME release
(http://l10n.gnome.org/releases/) or simply follow trunk?
My take would be to follow the current release (now "gnome-2-18"), and
when a new release comes we bother you to update it.
Christian, Danilo, what do you think?

One addition to the open-tran project I would like to see is to change
the name "Gnome" to "GNOME" so that it stands out in the search results.
Technically, GNOME is an acronym :).

Simos