Re: on usage of non-ascii symbols

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 09:07 +0700, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
> On 2/27/07, Leonardo Fontenelle <leo fontenelle gmail com> wrote:
> > Epiphany uses real ellipsis like this, and curly double quotation
> > marks (in opposition to the common, "vertical" one). Unicode gives us
> > a lot of unambiguous characters for situations like that, and many
> > people (ex. web standards people) think you should use them as often
> > as possible. I kind of agree with that, too, but as you said they are
> > hard to enter and most people don't like them that much. Recently I
> > talked to the rest of the pt_BR l10n team and we decided not to use
> > this "nice and hard" unicode chars.
>
> Using such characters would be great if the font users are using
> supports them. I'm certain Bitstream does but what if users use
> another font that doesn't? (hey if pango can determine such situations
> and auto convert to ascii alternatives.. i'm dreaming..)

Fontwise, the default font in at least Ubuntu and Fedora Core is DejaVu,
which is based on Bitstream. It is actually DejaVu that provides support
to all those fancy Unicode characters. For example, when you enter your
password at login, you see some big black dots in the place of the
standard asterisks. This is a Unicode character, introduced with the
adoption of DejaVu.
You can view the current list of those extended Unicode characters using
Applications/Accessories/Character Map. Select to View by Unicode Block.
To identify which font provides a specific character, right-click on the
displayed character and it will show you which font it came from. The
fonts named "Sans", "Serif" and "Monospace" are sort of virtual fonts;
the system populates them with characters from the repertoire of the
system. DejaVu provides quite of a lot of those characters.

Simos