Re: on usage of non-ascii symbols

Epiphany uses real ellipsis like this, and curly double quotation
marks (in opposition to the common, "vertical" one). Unicode gives us
a lot of unambiguous characters for situations like that, and many
people (ex. web standards people) think you should use them as often
as possible. I kind of agree with that, too, but as you said they are
hard to enter and most people don't like them that much. Recently I
talked to the rest of the pt_BR l10n team and we decided not to use
this "nice and hard" unicode chars.

2007/2/26, Stéphane Raimbault <stephane raimbault gmail com>:
2007/2/21, Wouter Bolsterlee <uws+gnome xs4all nl>:
> 2007-02-19 klockan 09:21 skrev Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy:
> > I found glade3 is using three-dot symbols "…" instead of thee dots
> > "...". If I recall correctly, we're all in favor of ascii symbols. Is
> > it okay using non-ascii symbols?
>
> I generally consider input to be in UTF-8, not ASCII. Gnome is fully
> Unicode-aware, so I don't think this poses real problems. But perhaps others
> more knowledgeable than I am can clarify. Danilo? Shaun?
>
>   mvrgr, Wouter

I don't see any interest to use this three-dot symbol. It's harder to
type and makes no differences on display (with Bitstream font).

Many translators don't know how to type this symbol or have a
convenient shortcut for.

I'm may be wrong, can you explain to me the goal?

Regards,
Stéphane

PS: I only saw this symbol in Glade-3