Re: gtk+ based translation tool

Pedro de Medeiros írta:
On 8/17/07, Gabor Kelemen <kelemeng gnome hu> wrote:
Hi

This is a nice start, but lacks the two most important features a new Gnome translation tool should have: glossary pane
(no, a notebook tab is not sufficient) and translation memory pane, which shows the good results from TM and their

I believe the glossary could be a list of words in English with
maybe some explanation and suggested substitutes in the
target language. They could be shared by all translation
projects or they could be specific to each context (maybe
categories could be used for that).

I think it can have more features, besides these.
For example, I use at work a proprietary tool, which has a really handy glossary-handling:
it lists the original strings in a pane, under them the known translations, which have each a letter assigned to them. Then pressing ctrl+letter pastes the possible translation at the cursor position. Compared to simple text editors, this feature alone boosts my productivity by a lot, and I think we need such a functionality. You can find a screenshot of this tool here:

http://www.vegadata.cz/images/TMpict.jpg

I think a treeview could do that. User defined categories
could be implemented as different nodes in the same
treeview. What do you think?

I think using treeview can waste a lot of screen real estate, and I'd prefer to see as much glossary matches as possible. Also, I can't imagine how user defined categories would help the workflow, could somebody enlighten this idea?

source, which are diffed against the to-be-translated string and colored based on the diff like in meld.

I have to check poedit with more care, but how are TM data
created exactly?

I don't know. Both KBabel and Poedit can read existing po files in their internal database, but I don't know how they implement this. Probably this is not very important as long as it is fast :).

Also I'd like to see some more screenshots about the "Must (not) translate" and the Locations and Actions tabs: what do
these do?

These are translate-toolkit features. If the same word is
used in both source and target messages and if it is also
in the "Must translate" list, the filter issues a warning.

The same thing happens if the word is in the "Must not
translate list" and the word is not found in the target
string.

Ok, I see, but on these tabs, what can we do? Edit the lists or see the warnings or something else?

The "locations" string is the position in the source code
where the string actually is, like the first line in:

#: accels.c:123
msgid "C_urrent Profile..."
msgstr "Perfil _Atual..."

The locations tab gathers these comment (because they
can happen several times).

I think this information is too precious, at least for me to hide behind a tab. Showing it in the same field as the comment makes more sense, especially because in most of the cases, there is simply no translator comment at all.

Regards
Gabor Kelemen