Handling phonetic/military spelling

Hi All:

In Orca, there is a feature to spell words out via speech synthesis. The options include just sending each character of a word to the speech synthesis engine as well as performing phonetic/military spelling. The phonetic/military spelling substitutes a word for each letter. For example "abc" becomes "alpha bravo charlie" in English.

We currently have the phonetic/military word substitutions for the letters a-z, and we handle this via a simple dictionary: the keys are the single characters and the values are the words.

I'm curious about a few things: what other languages support phonetic/military spelling? Should we include their alphabet in a big dictionary? Should we do something else to make this more flexible to allow translators to extend the military/phonetic alphabet to their language (if so, how would we do this)?

Thanks!

Will