Re: Handling phonetic/military spelling

Hey All:

As an alternative representation, how about the following. This allows a translator to more easily extend/modify the alphabet and phonetic words to match their language:

"{'a': 'alpha', 'b': 'bravo', 'c': 'charlie', 'd': 'delta', 'e': 'echo', 'f': 'foxtrot', 'g': 'golf', 'h': 'hotel', 'i': 'india', 'j': 'juliet', 'k': 'kilo', 'l': 'lima', 'm': 'mike', 'n': 'november', 'o': 'oscar', 'p': 'papa', 'q': 'quebec', 'r': 'romeo', 's': 'sierra', 't': 'tango', 'u': 'uniform', 'v': 'victor', 'w': 'whiskey', 'x': 'xray', 'y': 'yankee', 'z': 'zulu'}"

The note to translators would say something like:

Translators: this is a structure to assist in the generation of military-style spelling. For example, 'abc' becomes 'alpha bravo charlie'. It is a simple structure that consists of pairs of 'letter': 'word(s)' separated by commas. For example, we see 'c': 'charlie'. The complete set should consist of all the letters from the alphabet for your language paired with the common military/phonetic word(s) used to describe that letter. If more than one word is to be used, they should all be inside the single quotes (e.g., 'w': 'double bourbon'). Note that the form of this string is a programming language construct, so you need to get the syntax right. If you want to test the syntax, build/install Orca and then type the following command in a terminal with the locale set to the locale you're translating to. If no errors are emitted, you got it right:

python -c 'import orca.phonnames'

Will

Willie Walker wrote:
Hi All:

In Orca, there is a feature to spell words out via speech synthesis. The options include just sending each character of a word to the speech synthesis engine as well as performing phonetic/military spelling. The phonetic/military spelling substitutes a word for each letter. For example "abc" becomes "alpha bravo charlie" in English.

We currently have the phonetic/military word substitutions for the letters a-z, and we handle this via a simple dictionary: the keys are the single characters and the values are the words.

I'm curious about a few things: what other languages support phonetic/military spelling? Should we include their alphabet in a big dictionary? Should we do something else to make this more flexible to allow translators to extend the military/phonetic alphabet to their language (if so, how would we do this)?

Thanks!

Will