Re: Translation QA tool

Hello,

> I am currently doing QA using Sun specifications, but no idea about
> any useful tool to do all the work. I have been testing Pootle and
> Okapi framework to build some test applications, but I'm afraid there
> is a lot of work to be done.

Indeed I am doing some collaborative work with Pootle, trying to come
up with a unified data store.  This simple application is based on the
new data store.  We would be very interested in your feedback.

> I think that the best path is to provide some kind of workflow control
> on the translation. Current po file format is not very good about it,
> but xliff is designed with this in mind.

Indeed, I am trying to accommodate advanced XLIFF features in the new
translation store (and to try to shove it into standard .po files
too).

> Reporting errors manually actually seems the best way to get a decent
> translation but I would like to have a tool to assist translators in
> their job.

Sure thing.  If you have more concrete ideas, let me know.

> Also another idea I have been working is about comparing similar
> translations, which is a key point about giving feedback from revisors
> to translators, so they can be always informed about their translation
> errors.

I think Pootle currently has checkers and a compendium.  These could
probably be used to implement what you suggest.

> I'm afraid that your announce made me to think you were working on
> this issues.

That's fine, it's my own fault I mentioned QA.  Besides, it was
interesting to look up terms you mentioned (I did understand that it
was not mumbo-jumbo).  Actually, I am somewhat interested in the serious
translation QA processes and any possible software support for them,
but I found it difficult to find any concrete, useful information about
them on the web.

--
Gintautas Miliauskas
http://gintasm.blogspot.com