Re: Quick brown fox

On 3/12/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:

> I think the important question to ask is: "What do
> typographers who work in this language/this writing
> system use to show the characters of a font?"

For Thai, there is no certain one-line phrase.
Different programs use different phrases, depending on
what typographic features they want to emphasize, such
as glyph characteristic elements, shaping, and so on.

In fact, I've been doing a rough consensus for the phrase
to use in GNOME translation, too. The desired phrase
should show both glyph shapes and shaping features,
to demonstrate Pango capabilities while representing
the characteristics of the font at the same time.

The most recent, but not final, proposal is:

ààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààà

It's not so good in terms of language beauty,
but it just demonstrates typographic features well.

Note that simply listing alphabets is not enough
for Thai, because it has combining characters
to cover as well.

Regards,
-Thep.
--