Re: Fantasdic, ask for translations

On 3/10/06, Mathieu Blondel <mblondel rubyforge org> wrote:
> [copy for the gnome-i18n list]
>
> Danilo Šegan a écrit :
>
> > Today at 22:04, Mathieu Blondel wrote:
> >
> > You'd get best support for your module if it appears on our
> > translation status pages: you'll have to use intltool in your build
> > system.
> >
> > Unfortunately, GNU gettext is not supporting Ruby at the moment, so
> > neither is intltool. Perhaps you should help get Ruby supported in
> > GNU gettext :)
> >
> > However, I run it with Python mode (xgettext -L python), and it seems
> > to recognize all the strings correctly. So, it probably shouldn't be
> > too much work to add to GNU gettext, and you might wish to contact
> > Bruno Haible, GNU gettext maintainer, and I am sure he'd love to help.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Danilo
> >

> Hi,
>
> I don't know how the i18n team works yet (please forgive me) but in the
> po/ directory of my project, there's a Makefile that can build pot files
> and merge po files with the pot file. It uses rgettext (which is part of
> the Ruby/Gettext package) for ruby scripts and xgettext for the glade
> files. There's also a README that explains how to use that Mafefile.
>
> Is it incompatible with the way you work (some kind of automated
> process) ? One just needs to have rgettext in addition to intltool. If
> that's not enough standard for you, I can update the po files myself
> every time new strings appear.

The GNOME Translation Project depends on translatable modules being
supported by intltool and gettext. Our automated translation status
pages scripts depend on the modules being supported by intltool, and
all our translators are instructed to use intltool-update when
updating translations.

It seems that currently, fantasdic causes problems when used with
intltool-update:

$ cd fantasdic/po
$ intltool-update --pot
Cannot find top_srcdir in Makefile. at intltool-update line 917.

This very much prevents many GTP translators from providing
translations to fantasdic at the moment, so I very much hope that this
can be fixed soonish.