Re: gtkhtml string change request.

On 02/03/2006, at 2:28 AM, Andre Klapper wrote:

the bug reporter (and me too) think that the string "Lick" could be
pretty offensive in business workplaces, so i ask for approval to change
the term "Li_ck" to "Ton_gue". it's part of the emoticons submenu in the
evolution html composer.

It's difficult. Showing your tongue at all, especially sticking it out, is _very_ rude in Vietnamese culture, and that probably applies to some other Asian cultures.

However, that emoticon is widely-used, so a translation is necessary.

"Tongue" does give us more leeway than "Lick". For now. I've stuck with "stick out your tongue" in the medical sense.

It's difficult to describe an emotion, but we could also try to do that: "tongue in cheek" or "unsure/embarrassed", if that's the majority use of this emoticon?

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)