Re: Help Regarding gtranslator

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 10:00 +0100, Tahir Rauf Abdul Rauf wrote:
> I am a student in Pakistan , and i am currently working to localize
> "Debian Ubuntu" in URDU. I faced some problem regarding the use of
> gtranslator, I don't know whether they are bugs of gtranslator or i am
> unable to understand it.

Hiya,

> 1)   Firstly, When i want to install the packages of URDU language,
> the Synaptic package manager say that gtranslator will be removed.
> why ?? How can i translate some PO files in URDU, if the gtranslator
> is removed??

That sounds like a dependency problem with Ubuntu. Not sure how to
advise. Maybe try the Ubuntu support forums, or hopefully someone else
on the list has come across it.

> 2)Secondly, If we open gtranslator with a po file, and then go to the
> "gtranslator--options" dialogue  and in the PO header Tab. There is no
> option of Urdu language in the Language Text Box, why?? Why urdu
> language is not shown in this text box, how can i configure
> gtranslator to localize in URDU language.

This setting is largely irrelevant, and just acts to default certain
values in the PO header of files you edit. You should be able to type
your own values as well as select from the pre-determined values..

In fact, I'm planning to take the list completely out of the next major
release of gtranslator, as it can be confusing, shouldn't be hard-coded
into gtranslator anyway, only allows for one translation
project/team/address per language, and maintaining changes and new
language requests adds work for the maintainer.

>          Summary of above all is that how can i use gtranslator to
> localize in URDU.

You should still be able to use gtranslator to edit Urdu PO files. If
not, please file bug reports against gtranslator in bugzilla. Thanks.

> Additional help :
>
>          Now Kindly, if you are able to tell me how to get a good
> start to localize my debian distribution effectively, please don't
> hesitate to tell it too.

Sorry, I'm just a hacker :)

>                 Your reply can push me forward to the success, Thanks
> in Advance.

Good luck.

--
Ross