Re: GTP wiki

Thanks for this (as always ;) ) helpful reply, Danilo. :)

On 18/02/2006, at 11:08 PM, Danilo Åegan wrote:

Today at 8:09, Clytie Siddall wrote:

Translating pages on the wiki is otherwise relatively
straightforward, but I would like to translate pages like "How to
Join the GTP", which currently are still http files on gnome.org.

You are welcome to first put the English variant at something like

http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/JoiningUs

Great. I didn't know if we were ready to try moving the http pages yet.

I think I have time for that. :)

:) Basically, reproduce most of the content on developer.gnome.org, but also improve wording and add additional info if you wish. For instance, join.html mentions obsolete translate-gnome guide, links to older page about starting a new team (better info is in the Wiki now), and you can also fix that by moving this page to a Wiki.

OK, will do my best. :)

(once Wiki is good enough, I'll point developer.gnome.org pages to it)

One question about wiki pages: how to you snag search engines, as one does in html pages by using tags in the header? I want to attract new translators. ;)

I'd be happy to translate them as wiki pages. Would that be OK? That
way, in the translated GTP page, I can point users from my language
group to translated pages as they are created on the wiki, or to the
existing English pages if the translation has not been created.

Sure, I don't know if there is an agreed-upon naming scheme for translations in the Wiki, though. Perhaps adding "Vi" as you did for Vietnamese is enough. :)

I started out with the Gnome-Women page on LiveGnome.org, and that was the scheme they used. I don't know if it's standard.

Though, we might want to add a "top-bar" listing all translations (like Debian and GNU pages have, though they also use content negotiation). Feel free to do so on TranslationProject pages.

Thanks, I will. Having it down the bottom isn't as useful. People aren't likely to plough through a whole page of a foreign language before noticing one word in their language at the bottom, unless they're expecting it to be there. A top bar is good.

Also, we can add a language-content header (is this what you mean by content negotiation):

##language:vi

at the top of the page. I had forgotten to do that on the pages I've done, so I'll add those today.

Is there a "language bar" I could reproduce in the wiki? One in the same kind of wiki, or in another wiki? The formatting is limited, compared to html/css.

Otherwise, editing GTP webpages and keeping them up to date would
require translators to have FTP access to gnome.org.

Not really (it's all in CVS ;),

Ah, I should have thought of that. ;)

but we don't want everybody to change
stuff there,

Fair enough.

because:
 - teams.html must be kept up by
     http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/SpokesPersons
   so we know who is in charge, and have their proper contact (if
   everybody goes wild changing their info, we'd easily lose track)
 - everything else is ok to have in the Wiki instead, so lets put it
   there :)

Absolutely. I'll get on with that. :)

It's great to be able to help.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)