Re: GTP wiki

Hi Clytie,

Today at 8:09, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> Translating pages on the wiki is otherwise relatively
> straightforward, but I would like to translate pages like "How to
> Join the GTP", which currently are still http files on gnome.org.

You are welcome to first put the English variant at something like

  http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/JoiningUs

:)  Basically, reproduce most of the content on developer.gnome.org,
but also improve wording and add additional info if you wish.  For
instance, join.html mentions obsolete translate-gnome guide, links to
older page about starting a new team (better info is in the Wiki now),
and you can also fix that by moving this page to a Wiki.

(once Wiki is good enough, I'll point developer.gnome.org pages to it)

> I'd be happy to translate them as wiki pages. Would that be OK? That
> way, in the translated GTP page, I can point users from my language
> group to translated pages as they are created on the wiki, or to the
> existing English pages if the translation has not been created.

Sure, I don't know if there is an agreed-upon naming scheme for
translations in the Wiki, though.  Perhaps adding "Vi" as you did for
Vietnamese is enough. :)

Though, we might want to add a "top-bar" listing all translations
(like Debian and GNU pages have, though they also use content
negotiation).  Feel free to do so on TranslationProject pages.

> Otherwise, editing GTP webpages and keeping them up to date would
> require translators to have FTP access to gnome.org.

Not really (it's all in CVS ;), but we don't want everybody to change
stuff there, because:
 - teams.html must be kept up by
     http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/SpokesPersons
   so we know who is in charge, and have their proper contact (if
   everybody goes wild changing their info, we'd easily lose track)
 - everything else is ok to have in the Wiki instead, so lets put it
   there :)

Cheers,
Danilo