Re: Requesting approval for string changes

Hi Peter,

Yesterday at 23:36, Peter Harvey wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 16:27 +0100, Danilo Åegan wrote:
>> I understand this (every string change has some reason behind it ;),
>> but I'm against approving it since this could have been done before
>> the string freeze, and this has been so for probably two or more
>> release cycles (i.e. it's not really urgent).
>
> I'm not quite clear on what you've said here. The ability to hide
> individual toolbars is a recent addition for Epiphany. We previously
> only had the ability to hide/show all toolbars together, and so the
> string in previous releases was "Toolbar" (within the View menu). These
> new strings were not changed earlier because I didn't have time to
> determine which of Show/Hide would be less confusing to users.

This means that it's a misunderstanding between us.  Please, don't
expect us to be aware of all the new features in entire Gnome, so you
need to explain the situation completely:
 - how long did you have the feature (it's not uncommon for developers
   to ask for fixes during string freeze to issues old two release
   cycles or more)
 - why is it bad for users to have it that way (i.e. why do you need fixing)

You have now explained all this, but we've agreed that they are not urgent.

> I accept your point that these changes are not urgent. My only argument
> is that they invert the way the user should think about toolbar
> visibility (do they Show all and then override with Hide individual, or
> do they Show individual and override with Hide all?). I was hoping to
> fix these strings now rather than flip them at a later stage after
> release. Changing the strings also brings us in line with virtually all
> other programs with multiple toolbars.

Ok, so this is a bug-fix, and will probably be covered by UI-review,
if you are getting one this Monday.  If you don't get more than 10-15
string changes during UI-review, I'll most likely approve the changes,
provided they happen no later than Tuesday.

Basically, I simply want our UI team to confirm that this is indeed an
issue worth fixing.

Cheers,
Danilo