Re: Requesting approval for string changes

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 19:38 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Today at 14:06, Peter Harvey wrote:
>
> > There are some pending improvements for the context menu and toolbars
> > menu in Epiphany. They involve some string changes:
> >
> >       * Replaced "Hide %s" with "Show %s"
> >       * Replaced "_Show Toolbars" with "_Hide Toolbars"
> >       * Replaced "_Remove Toolbar" with "_Delete Toolbar"
> >       * Replaced "Properties" with "_Properties"
> >
> > Could these changes be approved?
>
> Can we have some more reasoning for these changes at this particular
> moment (i.e. why are they worth breaking a freeze)?

Each of the string changes are for menu item labels.

       * Replaced "Hide %s" with "Show %s"
       * Replaced "_Show Toolbars" with "_Hide Toolbars"
Epiphany can have multiple toolbars configured by the user, and has the
option to hide/show each of them individually. We previously had "Show
Toolbars" as a master toggle to determine whether any toolbar was
visible or not, and "Hide %s" as toggles to hide individual toolbars.
This was felt to be confusing to users and so we would like to change
this to "Hide Toolbars" and "Show %s".

      * Replaced "_Remove Toolbar" with "_Delete Toolbar"
Not really necessary. It helps to differentiate it from "Remove from
Toolbar" which is a menu item with similar icon that is immediately
above it when you are editing the toolbar.

      * Replaced "Properties" with "_Properties"
This was simply adding a mnemonic to a menu item that should always have
had it.

Some reasonably up-to-date screenshots are:
  http://home.exetel.com.au/harvey/epiphany/060214/toolbars.jpg
  http://home.exetel.com.au/harvey/epiphany/060215/toolbars5.jpg
  http://home.exetel.com.au/harvey/epiphany/060215/toolbars6.jpg

Thanks,