Re: gnome-panel translation problem. "System" apperiance.

Simos Xenitellis wrote:
O/H Vladimer Sichinava ÎÎÏÎÏÎ:
Hello All !
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Vladimer Sichinava wrote:

Hello Folks,

Every time I merge my gnome-panel.po file, I loose my "System" entry on
my panel...
I don't know why but msgmerge makes this entry fuzzy:

msgid "System"
msgstr "ááááááá"

So every time I must add this lines manually to get my "System" on the
panel translated.

AFAIR, because "System" menu comes from an Ubuntu(?) patch, changing the default "Desktop" menu of gnome-panel. Hence, the string "System" is not in the gnome-panel source, and so marked fuzzy as in unused.

A solution is to add a N_("System") somewhere in the gnome-panel
source.

behdad

N_("System") sorry ? in which format ? I can't really understand ? :(
Yes I normally add manually "System" string, and it works... but every time
I make msgmerge -U gnome-panel.po gnome-panel.HEAD.pot....
"System" become fuzzy...
It should work as you expect if *both* files, gnome-panel.po and gnome-panel.HEAD.pot have an msgid called "System". It has to be exactly the same. If they do not, you get fuzzy or commented.
To verify that you do everything ok, make backup copies of both files and edit them, so that you erase all strings apart from the msgid "System" ones.
You can try to update them with msgmerge and observe what happens.
You might have put some strange diacritic (do those exist in Georgian?) in the msgid that is not visible, but is there.
If you do no simplify your setup by creating minimal files and trying out, it's difficult to figure out what's wrong.

Simos

Thank You, Simos and Behdad,

I've done your experiment... and it's really not my problem, I've putted into gnome-panel.po and gnome-panel.HEAD.pot the same "System" string and
after merge, no lost messages :) great!

But I have another question, I've translated (-- Programms -- Places -- System --) mouse rollover suggestions, like "Browse and run installed applications"
"Access documents, folders and network places" but the don't appear even after X restart :/

the file is located in http://svn.inet.ge/svn/ka_GE/gnome-panel/head/gnome-panel.po...I can't really understand where is the problem.

Thank you again!

P.S to see our georgian language you must install "sudo apt-get install ttf-bpg-georgian-fonts" (If you use Ubuntu Dapper or Debian Unstable) this FIRST GPL font's in a georgian history, packaged by Matthew Garrett (Thank you for all pal!).