Re: Georgian (ka) GNOME Localisation Project - Nothing done since 2004

Hello Christian, Hello everybody,

I have replied to Vladimer a couple of times and also, as he noted,
discussed the Georgian localization issues on IRC.

As I have informed you on this list earlier, we have succesfully
finished the first stage of localization, which consisted of glossary
creation. As we have had very few products localized in Georgian
language yet, working up a suitable Georgian glossary was not an easy
step to undetake. I had to create an online tool and invite all the IT
experts, linguists and GNOME users to participate in the creation and
discussion of Georgian terms. The tool offered all the registered
memebrs to offer their translations as well as discuss existing ones.

The first stage having completed, we did face some issues and, as
Vladimer noted, there has not been much activity on PO level.

Having completed couple of modules and a few members joining the team,
I hope the situation will change soon and we will be able to complete
the second stage of localization too.

We have also had some collaboration problems, as my team has been
using offline l10n tools and glossary while Vladimer and his friends
have been active on Rosetta online translation tool, which was
introduced by Ubuntu folks to aide l10n. As the tool has been quite
buggy at the first stage, we had to ask Rosetta coordinators to remove
several dublicate gnome modules so that we could avoid dublicate
translations.

I would kindly ask Vladimer and his friends, in case they prefer to
use online Rosetta tool and not the offline l10n tools, to use the
official GNOME Localization Project registered at Rosetta tool

https://launchpad.net/rosetta/groups/gnome-translation-project/

rather than several GNOME modules which are unfortunately also
available in all the l10n projects of various Ubuntu distributions.

This would ease the integration of the translated modules into the
GNOME CVS, as well as avoid dublicate, mutiple translations and a
waste of valuable time and efforts.

Vladimer, having less experience is not an issue, as you have already
translated some modules and can rely on existing glossary projects and
localizations. Any translated module should be checked and QA's
properly until it gets integrated to the CVS, so the more you
translate, the more epxerience you will get :)   Having better
knowledge of Italian language rather than English is not a problem
either: While the translations should always be compared towards the
original English strings during QA, it is normal to use Italian as a
source language duting translation. And I believe Italian team has
always been very accurate and up to date :)

Christian,
Vladimer has also expressed his desire to support the Georgian l10n
team with coordination efforts as well. Of course, he will be welcome
to do so should he, after a few months, have significant contribution
to the project, as well as have been active in supporting and
attracting other members.

As Christian will agree, it is only fair that the l10n teams are
coordinated by people who have been actively supporting the projects
by aiding the members, handling PR, doing QA, as well and having
significant controbutions to the l10n.

Vladimer, your allegations about my choice of software are wrong: I
tried GNOME first at the end of 1998. This is the time when the
version was (I think) 1 and when Trolltech changed its licensing terms
with open source compliant version to compete. I have been supporting
GNOME project and used almost every version that has been released
since. Probably the funniest GNOME release I remember was 1.1 or 1.2
that came with RedHat 4 or 5 in 1999 :)  That was great time :P  I
have also used Linux as early as 1995 and currently have at least 7
distributions installed on my Macs and PCs home and in the office.

> In any case, I encourage you to subscribe to the list
> (http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-i18n), since it will
> allow your mails to get past the tedious manual list mail moderation
> queue.

Vladimer, please also subscribe to the KA l10n mailing list explained at
http://aiet.qartuli.net/join_en.php

This will allow us to maintain close collaboration and discuss any
glossary or other issues that may arise during l10n.

Best regards,
Aiet Kolkhi

http://www.Gakartuleba.org