Re: What happens to translations through Launchpad? (Arabic Gnome related)

On 02/12/2006, at 6:53 AM, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:

2006-12-01 klockan 17:45 skrev Djihed Afifi:
What happens to the translations made through launchpad? do they get
merged back to Gnome? is ubuntu the only distribution that will benefit
from them? will our work make it to ubuntu packages?

https://launchpad.net/bugs/68014 might be worth subscribing too.

It's a fairly complex situation, Djihed. :(

Launchpad (including Rosetta) works for Ubuntu. Work done there will appear in Ubuntu, but so far, none of it gets sent back upstream to the project responsible for those files. You can imagine what a bad situation this can be. Conflicting files. Lack of QA. Data out-of-date.

Our work here at GNOME, like any translation work in the original project, gets distributed with the product (e.g. GNOME 2.14, GNOME 2.16). So when Ubuntu integrates a version of GNOME, they get our work, too. :)

Unfortunately, they can give priority to alterations made in Rosetta. This can result in us receiving bug reports for work not done by us.

At least one team (Portuguese?) is working to close the gap between Rosetta and this project. Ideally, the Rosetta and upstream translators need to work together. But a lot of change yet needs to occur to achieve this.

One of the biggest obstacles I can see to this being effective, is that Rosetta does not have the immediate access to our latest files that we do have here. I did some work in Rosetta quite a while ago, and ended up wasting many hours on an old version of a file. It was the latest version in Rosetta, but it was several versions old in the upstream project.

So there are quite a few issues to be resolved. Possibly one of the biggest is the differing priorities: we here at GNOME are working for all our users, while Ubuntu is working for Ubuntu only. I hope that can be overcome.

If we integrate the Pootle [1] online distributed translation tool, as Debian is currently doing, we can customize the tool to suit our project. It is an upstream project tool, by design. It is capable of syncing with our SVN/CVS, runs online or offline, or both, and is generally very flexible. It's gives us another translator tool, which we can choose to use, or not use, in the degree that suits each of us. Anyone can run a Pootle, and it's free software.

I'd like to see Rosetta more suited to the aims of free-software upstream translation. Hopefully, through the bug that Wouter quoted, change can happen. :)

[1] http://pootle.wordforge.org/
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle