Re: gnome-applets locations data (yet again)

On 30/08/2006, at 5:49 AM, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 15:33 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

I'm updating gnome-applets, and checking my translation against the
file quoted [1].

Using the information recorded for Sài Gòn (a.k.a T.P. Hồ Chí
Minh):

<location>
      <_name>Ho Chi Minh</_name>
      <code>VVTS</code>
      <coordinates>10-49N 106-40E</coordinates>
    </location>

the lat. and long, are fine, but how do I fill in:

"A three-digit-long code for retrieving radar maps from weather.com"

and

"A unique zone for the city"

?

Is "VVTS" the "three-digit code"? And what is the zone?

Hi Clytie,
the <code></code> is the ICAO Location Indicator for the airport, and
it's four letters long. For the full list, see
http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/metar.shtml
Each airport has a ICAO code, and each airport needs to submit their
current weather data so that they are available to the aviation
industry. GNOME Applets simply uses that information to display the
weather of the nearby city (assuming the airport is near the city).

The "radar" from weather.com, AFAIK, works only for US and Canada,
therefore for other countries it is not used.

Hope this helps,

Yes, thanks, Simos. Unfortunately, the gnome-applets-locations PO file simply refers you to the file I quoted. If the information isn't there, it is confusing.