Comparing methods

On 14/04/2006, at 6:07 PM, Ãsmund SkjÃveland wrote (in part):

The path magic already in the PO Auxillary dialog is designed for the
KDE file hierarchy, which keeps PO files separate from application
source, in a separate directory for each language.

I only started translating for KDE a few weeks ago. (Our team had been dead, completely, for four years! Non-supported. :( )

When I started, I thought keeping PO files in a separate directly was a bad idea. It distanced the PO file from the source.

However, I must admit, the convenience, for SVN, is huge. You're not having to add/update/commit single files in single directories: you can add/update/commit all the changes in a whole section (say, all of Gnome Desktop) at once.

I do have a svn front end [1] which provides a "flat view", so you can see (and add/update/commit) all the changed files in any "root" directory. I don't know how easy that is to do from the command-line.

However, I don't think you can update all the POTs, for example, for a range of separate directories, without updating everything else. Having all the POTs in one directory really does help.

I suppose I only need this type of POT access, because my team has had to start its KDE translations from the beginning again, so we're doing a lot of work with POT files. But every team starting work in any section will be in the same situation.

This has probably been discussed here before, since some of us work for both Gnome and KDE.

What do other translators think? For the new translators, in particular, would it be more useful to have all the POTs for any release in one directory (even as copies)?

(I hope it's OK to bring this up. It seems useful to me.)

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)

[1] svnX, on Mac OSX
http://www.lachoseinteractive.net/en/community/subversion/svnx/features/