Re: Comparing methods

On 4/15/06, Clytie Siddall <clytie riverland net au> wrote:
> When I started, I thought keeping PO files in a separate directly was
> a bad idea. It distanced the PO file from the source.

I am still of that opinion. :-)
Having the PO files in the applications makes it easier to find
internationalization bugs in the applications and gives important
context to translators who can read source code.

> However, I don't think you can update all the POTs, for example, for
> a range of separate directories, without updating everything else.
> Having all the POTs in one directory really does help.

However, I do appreciate that having a simple way of getting all the
current POT files helps new teams a lot. As a consequence, years ago I
requested there be a link on the status pages where you could download
a tarball with "all current POT files for developer-libs" and a
tarball with "all current POT files for desktop". I imagine that would
not be a very complicated feature to add.

However, concerning new features, the translation status pages have
basically been unmaintained for several years now.

Perhaps this will become easier when we move to Pootle. I do not know.
Perhaps someone experienced working with Pootle can answer that.
(And I do not know when Pootle will happen, either)