Re: Guarani Nhandeva translation

O/H Boca ÎÎÏÎÏÎ:
  Hi!

About the code of the language, Nhandeva is the way they
auto-identificate themselves. This identification isn't related to
national frontiers; they don't indentify themselves like "brazilians" or
"paraguayans" or "argentinian". So, we think that if this is the way
that they indentify themselves, so that's the best way to call them
language support. Can we determinate the code? Or there is anybody else
that needs to say "ok" to this? It's just a question...
Hi Matheus,
The name (I'll call "codename" in this e-mail) of the locale is derived from the language codes, as defined by ISO 639-x.
If there is a requirement to differentiate on how the language is spoken in different countries,
you can add (if you want to) the country code, as defined by ISO 3166.
Specifically,
Language code, ISO 639-2:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html

Country code, ISO 3166:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/list-en1.html

Two points to note here:
1. For consistency, it is important to use language/country codes from the relevant ISO standard.
Sadly, you will not get much sympathy if you try to deviate.
2. The locale codename, as derived from the language (and country code, if required), is not very much visible to the end user.
The end-user will see the name of the language and they have to search a lot to find the locale codename.
Actually, this is the most important message I want to pass with this e-mail.
The locale codename should be chosen in such a way so that if other groups
want to work with similar languages, they will be able to do so.

In addition to the translation work in GNOME, you also need to register the Guarani locale with the GLIBC project.
The locale will appear at
http://www.sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/libc/localedata/locales/?cvsroot=glibc
It is known that the GLIBC project is quite strict with the locale "codename" choice.
If any part of the locale codename is not based on a corresponding standard, you have little (or none at all) chances
to get the locale accepted :(.

Therefore, I can see two choices
1. Use "gn_BR" as this type of Guarani you are working on is spoken in the country area of Brazil.
2. Use simply "gn", as the language is indeed Guarani and your project is the first one that tackles the language.
If other groups from, let's say, Argentina, want to add their own translations, they will have to use "gn_AR".
In other words, as you are the first, you can use "gn"! :)

If Guarani Nhandeva is practically confined within the borders of Brazil, choose option 1 (gn_BR).

If you think that the group you are working with will be more content if Brazil is not mentioned in the codename, then choose option 2,
that is, the locale codename "gn" (no language specification).

Hope this helps,
Simos
  What about contribute some translations, what that means? That we need
contribute with tranlation of another lenguage os that we need send some
gn_nd files before get the CVS account?

  Raphael, thanks for the disposition to upload our firt files. As soon as
possible we'll send them to you.

  Very thanks!

  Matheus Grandi...

O indivÃduo Raphael Higino tinha escrito isso:
Hi, Matheus and everyone.