po-sensitive diffs (was: Re: 2.12 Press Release ready for translation

On 03/09/2005, at 9:54 PM, Danilo Åegan wrote (in conclusion):

Also, if any of you is having problems with regenerated PO files
there, I'd like to know since this is the first big test of my
"pomerge.py" script which replaces msgmerge (to include diffs in PO
files).

Danilo, does this script, or can you point me to something that does, diff PO files and ignore everything but the headers, msgid and msgstr? My text editor diff not only dililgently diffs all the string block information, but also counts whole blocks together as one line, which is hardly useful. :( I look for diffs and get a result like "line1-203" :(

I can't run Kbabel or gtranslator or poedit until Apple gets its X11 UTF-8 input and display problems sorted out. I have an excellent translation editor (LocFactoryEditor) which doesn't diff, and an excellent text editor which has no translation features. <sigh>

Thankyou for any help you can offer with this. Most likely gettext has this all along, and I didn't know...

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)